Friday, January 25, 2008

Lapis Surabaya

It’s been a wonder to me - why it is named after one of Indonesian big cities, is it because of its origin? Its creator’s origin? Or its creator has something special with this city? (well, you can’t tell if he/she has his/ her first love there, right?) This is a very popular cake among the Indonesian since I don’t know when .

Consist of three layers of cakes (yellow – chocolate – yellow), attached together with some jam in between, this cake felt so smooth ( thanks to the extra yolk, not the artificial emulsifier) Actually, when I put my trial four weeks ago – with an auntie’s recipe-, I’m afraid that I might spoiled the eggS if I can’t bake it right, so I tried half of the recipe with only two layers instead of three. Since then, my uncle who lives next door keeps asking me when I’m going to make the real size, with three layers of course.

So there, I found my self cracking the eggs, split them into yolks and whites, (very time consuming but the result really worth the effort) creating my first Lapis Surabaya (this I made with less sugar so Grandma can also have a bite). Just be careful with the calories, it really needs an extra workout :)

Recipe: Te

No comments: